McAllen, TX asked in Civil Litigation for Texas

Q: Can a judgement be reviewed after I have paid it off?

I was involved in a class action case where default judgements got entered against a large sum of people (about 9000). The judgement entered against me was for alleged payments which equaled to about 23K. I never received the chance to dispute my case. On November of 2022 I received a subpoena asking for all my financial information, I decided to just pay off the judgement to get these people off my back once and for all. The amount I ended up paying was $24,500. I have proof I was never provided the adequate notice to be able to dispute my case. Plus on the document detailing the alleged payments I received, they have someone else's username, not mine. I have all my bank statements from the year I allegedly received the payments and it proves I never received the money they claim I did. Is there a way I can reopen the judgement for review, present my case and have the $24,500 returned? I'm in Texas, the judgement was entered in North Carolina.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
John Michael Frick
John Michael Frick
  • Frisco, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: A “class” action means that there are a large number of plaintiffs, not defendants.

If you were named as a defendant, you were entitled to be served with notice of the lawsuit. If you were not served, you should contact an attorney to review your options.

What options you have are affected by when the judgment was entered against you and when you first learned about it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.