Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Help with eviction and flat fee lawyer. The tenant gave the apt. to a friend who is not paying rent now. Thanks

Oregon Real Estate Landlord / Tenant issue. The tenant with whom there is a signed lease agreement subleased the apartment to a friend during covid and now the friend is not paying rent. There were some messages about this w/ the landlord but the friend never signed a new lease. Also, the friend received Covid help from the county.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: You will need to serve the tenant with the proper 144 hr or 72 hr notice and, if not timely paid, file to evict in court. While I offer some partial eviction services on a flat fee basis, I don't know any attorney who offers a flat fee for an eviction start to finish. That is because there are so many potential variables and case can cost from less than $1000 to $15,000 or more if it turns into a knock down, drag out battle at trial. The place to start normally is for you to make an appointment with a local landlord-tenant attorney for an initial interview and go from there. They will, of course, want to see ALL relevant paperwork - communications with the tenant, the lease from the original tenant, notices, agreements, etc. Regardless of this comes out, you should never go without a signed, written lease with the tenant. They should provide it to you, along with their deposit and initial rent before you ever give them a key. Anything else puts yourself at risk.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.