Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Will i be arrested if i turn in a fugitive that has been living with me, state of TX. I have no criminal background.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bradlee Hines Thornton
Bradlee Hines Thornton pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Antonio, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: It's impossible to promise you will not be arrested but here is what the law says.

Sec. 38.05 of the Texas Penal code makes it a crime to harbor a fugitive IF you have the intent to hinder the arrest of another under the authority of a warrant or capias.

If you call the police to report the person, it's hard to say that you had the intent to harbor them. But if there are any other facts or statements that would lead police to believe you had lied to them in the past or obstructed their search for the fugitive in any way, you could still be charged. A more certain answer would require a few more facts about the situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.