Philadelphia, PA asked in Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: If you are left a specified amount in a will , can the lawyer tell you your going to receive less than was specified .

The specified amount was the same for my 2 siblings and 2 charities . I live in nj but the will is coming from pa

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: There is not enough information in your question to give you a definite answer, but if the total estate is not large enough to pay 100% of the specific bequests to you and your siblings and the charities, then yes you can receive less than 100% of the specific bequest. However, typically all of you that are named beneficiaries of specific bequests would have their bequest reduced by the same amount. Generally, unless something specific in the Will, the executor cannot pick and choose which beneficiary to reduce and which to pay in full.

W. J. Winterstein Jr. agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.