Simpsonville, SC asked in Real Estate Law for South Carolina

Q: Unmarried-splitting up. Both names are on the house deed - only his name is on the mortgage. I want the house. Now what?

We purchased the home not quite a year ago. Now he wants to split up after 8 years together. Both of our names are on the deed but the mortgage is in his name only. I want to stay in my house. I am not expecting him to pay the mortgage, I will pay it but the mortgage. He had the better credit so we were advised for him to apply alone to qualify for the loan. What can I do to legally keep my house?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Were you husband and wife going through a divorce or just purchased the home together while single? I would need this information to properly respond.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.