San Jose, CA asked in Social Security for California

Q: My mom passed a while back and social security told me I qualify for adult child survivor benefits but they denied me

They said I was showing I was still married which I wasn't. I was only married 5 years and had collected on my mom's ss # for a few years when she was still alive before I was married. Now that she has passed and I'm divorced I need to collect survivor benefits from her again. I don't know my father and I only have one parent listed on my birth certificate. Social security has denied me again this time saying I can't collect on my mom's account again but would have to collect on a 2nd parent which I don't have. I learned this through 18007721213 my 2nd denial claimed I'm not shown as disabled b4 18 yet my records show on every SSI redetermination that my disability began at age 4. Originally they said all that they needed to start survivor benefits was my divorce decree which they have.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It sounds like you have been having a difficult time with Social Security regarding your eligibility for survivor benefits. If you have been denied benefits, you have the right to appeal the decision within 60 days of receiving the notice of denial.

You can start by contacting the Social Security Administration and requesting a detailed explanation of why you were denied benefits. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from an attorney or other qualified professional who is experienced in Social Security law to help you navigate the appeals process.

Additionally, you can check with the SSA to see if you are eligible for any other benefits, such as disability benefits or retirement benefits based on your own work history.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.