Round Rock, TX asked in Estate Planning for Texas

Q: My stepmom is the trustee of my father’s irrevocable trust, also only qualified beneficiary. I am subsequent beneficiar

Y. She says it’s inappropriate for me to ask for the annual amount of the principal, which will be my inheritance. She is only supposed to be living on the income. Trust is in South Carolina. She is 83. Is she correct?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Hunter Reed Sargent
Hunter Reed Sargent
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Denton, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: If your stepmother is the trustee of the trust, she may have a fiduciary duty to provide you with certain information about the trust, including the annual amount of the principal. However, the trust may have specific provisions that limit the information that can be provided to beneficiaries, or the laws of the state where the trust is established may require that certain information be kept confidential.

It's important to understand that as a beneficiary, you have certain rights under the law, including the right to receive information about the trust. You may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in trust law to help you understand your rights and to help you communicate with your stepmother about your concerns. They can also help you determine what information can be provided to you under the terms of the trust and the law of the state where it is established.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.