Asked in Personal Injury and Banking for Florida

Q: How do I open a bank account when I'm in the hospital and not fit enough to physically do it?

I'm asking this for my girlfriend (It's a distant relationship, she is from the US and I'm from Germany ) because we need the inheritance money that she got from her father to pay for medical expenses (a lawyer already handled the money, she just needs to open the account).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: One option is to execute (sign with formalities) a Power of Attorney giving your girlfriend the power to open an account in your name. It's unclear from your post whether you are currently in Germany. If you are, and the account needs to be opened in Florida, you'd need to have the Power of Attorney notarized by a US Notary (plus witnessed by two other persons). You might be able to have it notarized remotely (virtually/on-line). You can search on-line for Florida remote notaries. Consult an attorney about drafting a Power of Attorney.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.