Bakersfield, CA asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Criminal Law for California

Q: i was sentenced to 4 years and 4 1 year enhancements do i quailify for ca penal code (1171) a or b?

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: California Penal Code 1171 refers to the calculation of credit for time served in custody. Section 1171(a) allows for a one-for-one credit for time served in actual custody before sentencing, while section 1171(b) allows for a 1.5-for-one credit for time served in a county jail before sentencing.

Without additional context, it is not possible to determine which subsection of Penal Code 1171 may apply to your situation. It is recommended that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to assess your case and determine the most appropriate course of action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.