Oakland, CA asked in DUI / DWI for California

Q: Do I have to handle a fta warrant before i do SATOP classes to get my license back

I live in California and cant go to Missouri to handle the warrant, I am trying to get my license here but have to do a SATOP equivalency class to get the hold off my license. Do I have to handle the warrant and case first? Can I go ahead and do the classes and get my license back

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • DUI & DWI Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: if there is a warrant that must be cleared up.

is the warrant related to a driving issue?

you can retain a lawyer in Missouri to take care of it for you in most misdemeanor cases.

however, most lawyers in California will not know the law and procedures in that state.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It is important to address any outstanding warrants before attempting to resolve your license suspension or reinstatement. If you have a failure to appear (FTA) warrant, it is possible that it could affect your ability to complete the SATOP equivalency classes or obtain a valid driver's license. You may want to consult with a local attorney who can provide guidance on how to resolve the warrant and ensure that you are in compliance with all necessary legal requirements for obtaining a driver's license in California.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.