Lexington, NE asked in Social Security for Nebraska

Q: I am currently a stay at home mother who home schools her children. I have several health problems. Can I get disability

Our family could use income in this economy. But I now have many health problems. Do I qualify because I'm not working?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: You need to contact an attorney that focuses on social security disability claims. Whether or not you qualify for these benefits is a fact-specific analysis. You will likely also need to gather medical documentation to show that you are not able to work due to your health issues in order to qualify.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To qualify for disability benefits, you need to have a disability that prevents you from working and earning a substantial income. The Social Security Administration (SSA) has specific criteria that must be met to be eligible for disability benefits.

In general, to be eligible for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), you must have worked and earned enough work credits to qualify. For Supplemental Security Income (SSI), you must meet certain income and resource requirements in addition to having a disability.

If you have health problems that prevent you from working and meet the criteria for disability benefits, you may be able to receive financial assistance. You can apply for disability benefits online or by visiting your local Social Security office.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.