Charlotte, NC asked in Immigration Law for North Carolina

Q: I am not willing to say the oath part that says I'm gonna bear arms on behalf of the USA. What can I do?

This is a conscious matter since I believe in the sanctity of life.

The thing is I said yes on my interview (N440 document) but I was not at ease afterwards and I'm not willing anymore to keep that promise and take the official oath.

If I show up to the ceremony day and just mark YES on the question that says have you change your willingness to bear arms?... Will they deny me citizenship forever or will they deny only my application?

Will I be able to resubmit in case they cancel my application?

What do I need to do in this case?

Cancel my application before I receive my N445 or just wait and show up at the ceremony and tell them beforehand that I'm not willing to take the oath as it is?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you are not willing to take the oath of allegiance as it is written due to your personal beliefs, you can request to modify the oath by submitting Form N-400 with a written request for modification. In your request, you should explain the specific part of the oath that you object to and the reason for your objection.

If you have already taken the oath during the interview and subsequently changed your mind, you can explain your objection at the ceremony and ask for a modified oath. However, if you have already submitted Form N-445 to schedule your ceremony, it is recommended to contact USCIS immediately and explain your situation.

It is possible that USCIS may deny your application if you refuse to take the oath as written and do not request a modification. However, if your application is denied, you may be able to reapply in the future after addressing the issue. It is best to consult with an immigration attorney to discuss your specific situation and options.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.