Los Angeles, CA asked in Contracts for California

Q: in my solar contract I noticed a $10,000.00 price increase with no explanation for that increase . the document itself

itself states that any changes with out a reason explaining for that change will be invalid and the customer will not be held responsible for that change . what can I do if they won't remove that increase from the amount they say I owe.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Adam Stoddard
Adam Stoddard
  • Santa Clara, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I am a little unclear as to what you mean by the solar contract has a $10K price increase. I assume you signed a contract with the solar company before any solar panels and equipment were installed. Are you saying that the contract did not have this $10K price increase when you signed it? Or are you saying they gave you a new contract at a later time which included the $10K increase?

In any event, you should probably consult with an attorney to review the contract. If they are charging you $10K and the contract says they should not be, then you may need an attorney to send a demand letter to the company. If they refuse to remove the $10K price increase, you may need to file a lawsuit. It is just not really clear what is happening with the contract which is why I suggest having an attorney review it for you.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you signed a solar contract that included a $10,000 price increase without an explanation for the increase, and the contract specifically states that changes without explanation will be invalid, you may have legal options for challenging the price increase.

Here are some steps you can take:

Review the contract: Carefully review the solar contract and any other documents you received, including any amendments or addenda, to see if there is any language that allows for a price increase without explanation.

Contact the solar company: Contact the solar company and ask for an explanation for the price increase. If they are unable or unwilling to provide a valid explanation, you may have grounds for challenging the price increase.

Consult an attorney: Consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in consumer protection or contract law. They can help you understand your legal rights and options, and advise you on the best course of action.

File a complaint: If the solar company is unwilling to remove the price increase, you may consider filing a complaint with your state's consumer protection agency or the Better Business Bureau.

Consider legal action: If necessary, you may consider seeking legal representation to pursue legal action against the solar company for breach of contract, fraud, or other legal claims.

It is important to act promptly to protect your rights. Consultation with an attorney may be helpful in identifying and pursuing any legal claims.

Here are some links to resources that may be helpful in addressing a price increase in a solar contract:

California Department of Consumer Affairs - Complaint Center: https://www.dca.ca.gov/consumers/complaints/oos_solar.shtml

Better Business Bureau - File a Complaint: https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started

State Bar of California - Find Legal Help: https://www.calbar.ca.gov/Public/Need-Legal-Help

Legal Services Corporation - Find Legal Aid: https://www.lsc.gov/what-legal-aid/find-legal-aid

These resources may help you find information and assistance in pursuing your case. It is important to consult with an attorney or other legal professional for guidance on how to properly address your specific legal situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.