Dayton, OH asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: Can I vaccinate my child without the consent of the father? ( We are not married nor divorced.)

We are only dating but we are very much together and he is 100% involved. He will obviously be listed as the father on the birth certificate (I’m still pregnant) but I’m not sure what rights that gives him since we’re not married? If I choose to vaccinate our child against the wishes of my partner, does he have any legal ground to stand on? Or, is it all in my favor as the mother since I am technically “single” or unmarried? If we were to get married years after vaccinating our child without his knowledge, could he then pursue legal action against me?

I very much respect my partner, his opinions and feelings…but I’m more concerned about the safety of my child versus the wishes of my partner. I truly believe that he would try to pursue legal action against me if he were to find out I did this behind his back. (If I choose to go down that path.) So, I would just like to know what my options/rights are as a “single” mother when the time comes for me to make a decision.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Legally, in the short term, it's in your favor until he goes to Court to establish his custodial rights. At that point, his rights are equal to yours.

Legally, in the long term, and practically speaking, these are decisions you need to make together. You're better off making these decisions with him from the start.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.