Danbury, CT asked in Probate for Connecticut

Q: Can my siblings and I force a sale of the house we own half of? My step mom passed away. Her son lives there now.

Her will is in probate. We have no interest in keeping our half, we just want our monetary share. Once probate is settled, can we force a sale from whomever the probate court designates as the other half owner? And how do we do that? Should we notify the probate court before the probate case is closed, or should we wait until we find out who the courts assign the other half to? We presume it will be her son who is currently living in the house, (rent free). How do we force a sale? Thank you for your help.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nina Whitehurst
Nina Whitehurst pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Crossville, TN

A: If the house is not sold during the probate administration (which sometimes happens in order to pay debts and expenses), then hire an attorney to help you file a partition action against the other co-owners. Most likely the property cannot be divided (partitioned) and the court will order that it be sold and the proceeds divided.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.