St. George, UT asked in Criminal Law and Traffic Tickets for Utah

Q: Hello, my question is ways that i can get my charge of possesion of a controlled substance dissmissed or reduced in utah

An officer from a neighboring city got behind me and followed me untill i reached my city for no reason he pulls me over. His reasons were made up and in my discovery he dont give any probable cause reason on why he began to follow me on the highway. ive done some research and believe theu were pretextual. I broke no traffic law, and was getting traffic warnings untill about 25 mins into the ordeal he brings a k9 and asks to sniff, i said yes..but not once did the k9 do so. Then from about to let me go on traffic warnings he begans asking drug questions . i was never mentioned of drugs etc...untill after the traffic warnings. I find he had no lawfully reason to suddenly follow me and make up phoney excuses to wait to pull me over. his statements have multible false holes in it, and yes drugs were found, but after turning a common traffic stop into a sudden criminal drug case. i do have a past with drug cases but its about 10 years ago, way past the statute of limitations. Can i fight

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
William Melton
William Melton
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Taylorsville, UT
  • Licensed in Utah

A: You need to hire an attorney. Criminal law is extremely fact specific and you need an attorney to review your case and probably file a motion to suppress.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.