Asked in Bankruptcy

Q: How do I file a claim for the invoices a company owes me after they file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy?

I owe 2 invoices to a company which declared chapter 11 bankruptcy after the invoice date and now they have stopped responding to my message. The only information I have is that I am listed as one of the creditors. How do I file a proof of claim? I am an overseas independent contrator and not in the US.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Cristina M. Lipan
Cristina M. Lipan
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Wantagh, NY

A: This depends on the chapter 11 case. If it is a larger case, there might be a claims agent with a website available for filing claims. If not you can also file a claim directly with the bankruptcy court, either by mailing a proof of claim form (form template available here: to the Clerk of the court or filing online, if the Bankruptcy Court has that option available.

A couple of points to consider:

1. Bankruptcy Code section 362 prohibits creditors from pursuing pre-petition debts owed by a bankruptcy debtor. You should not contact the debtor, but you may contact the attorneys that filed the case for more information on filing a proof of claim.

2. If the Debtor wants to continue using your services, they must pay you for post-petition services. But they could only pay for pre-petition services by order of the court (i.e., as a critical vendor).

3. The Debtor might have been considered you a critical vendor, but either later changed its mind, or Bankruptcy Court denied that request to pay you as a critical vendor.

4. By filing a claim, you subject yourself to the jurisdiction of the bankruptcy court, and you should retain local bankruptcy counsel to determine how this might affect you.

Depending on how much money is at stake, you might want to pay for a local bankruptcy attorney to guide you through the process.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: If you are abroad, you should hire an attorney in the city where the bankruptcy is filed to file your proofs of claim for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.