Eugene, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Can a landlord restrict your access to an entire apartment complex on the grounds that you were evicted from your unit?

My roommate was recently evicted from his apartment, he was the only person on the lease and the landlord was aware of my presence within the unit and never said anything about it. After my roommate was evicted and had vacated the property, I returned to the apartment complex to visit a different friend of mine who still lives there. I was told by the landlord that anyone who has been evicted from a unit on the property is automatically 86d or no longer welcome on the property as a result, and that I was not welcome on the property. Since I was not on the lease in the first place would that even apply to me? Does a landlord even have the right to restrict your access to a property simply because you were evicted if you were the lease holder?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: If you occupied the property, the landlord should have evicted you as well as his tenant. Normally that is done by including "And All Others" or something similar as a defendant. Otherwise, they could end up evicting the named tenant but not anyone else occupying the dwelling. If you vacated, or were included in the eviction, then the landlord can indeed trespass you off the property but they still have to do the paperwork to do so and have you served. That said, they can do it anytime they want to and bother to jump through the hoops. You have no inherent right to enter someone else's private property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.