Waterbury, CT asked in Estate Planning, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for New Jersey

Q: I am the sole executor of an estate and owner. Can I evict a beneficiary staying in the home illegally without council?

The house is located in a 55 and older co-op community in Ocean County NJ. My sister-in-law (who is a 50/50 beneficiary) had until August 10th 2021 as per the bylaws of the co-op to relocate. She has refused to pay anything or leave for 2 years. She is on probation facing new charges and is addicted to drugs. There is no reasoning with her, we've tried for 24 months. I filed for an ejectment and filled out a the writ of posession packet. When I called the clerks office to pay the filing fees, I was told I cannot proceed without a lawyer? So I called 5 lawyers in NJ and they were all confused as to why they told me that I need a lawyer. They said if the will was probated, I shouldn't need a lawyer for an ejectment. This has been a never ending 2 year nightmare with my sister- in- law. We can't sell the house with her in the unit due to her drug problems. We are also trying to seek free counsel desperately due to our financial situation currently. Please help!

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: The first issue is that you failed to indicate in which NJ county the property is located. The best solution would be to retain the services of a local attorney who has estate and landlord - tenant experience as there may be other choices in addition to ejectment such as a partition action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.