Glendale, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: Report emotional abuse and request restraining order child just turned 18

Step mother emotionally abused my daughter for over 3 years, my daughter turned 18 on September 2022 and she moved out and went not contact with father and stepmother. Daughter is in therapy due to the mental abuse and suffers from depression, anxiety and panic attacks, daughter wants to report the emotional abuse and obtain a restraining order against stepmother so she never comes close to her ever again. We still share 50/50 with father of a special need son, my daughter want to leave on record the abuse she suffered in that house because we are afraid stepmother will start abusing special need son. Son already came with a bruise made by the stepmother. What’s the steps my daughter has to follow to report the emotional abuse and request the restraining order?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: She can go to the nearest superior courthouse and request the protective order. That will only be in effect for two years though.

As for reporting emotional abuse, she should contact the Department of Child Safety.

If you are looking to modify legal decision-making and parenting time, you can file a Petition to Modify with the Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.