Allen, TX asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: Can i move in with my father?

I am almost 17. My mother and my father have joint custody but I was never able to see my dad, along with my sisters and stepmom because of my mom. My dad lives in missouri i live in louisiana. If my dad came and got me and took me in to live with him would I be forced to go back home?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Douglas Lee Bryan
Douglas Lee Bryan
  • Marksville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You didn't say whether there's a judgment determining custody, but your statement that your parents have "joint custody" makes me assume that there is one. Your father would need to file a Rule to Modify Custody in the custody case asking the court to give him domiciliary custody. Your age and desire to live with him will play a big role in the judge's decision. If your father just came and got you without petitioning the court first, your father could get in trouble, and you could be forced to return home.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.