Ridley Park, PA asked in Copyright, Trademark and Intellectual Property for Pennsylvania

Q: If Sony as a company owns the Sly Cooper Trademark, when does that enter the public domain?

How I understand it, a work is protected for the authors lifetime plus 70 years, since it was created in the early 2000’s. And since a company or corporation is the author and can’t “Die” when would it go into the public domain? Is it just protected for 95 years and then it’s free to use?

2 Lawyer Answers
David Aldrich
David Aldrich
  • Trademarks Lawyer
  • Shelton, CT

A: The timeframes you’re discussing relate to copyrights, not trademarks. For a trademark, as long as the owner continues to use the name and continues to timely submit the proper renewal forms and fees, their protection does not expire.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: In the United States, the length of copyright protection for works created by a corporation, such as Sony owning the Sly Cooper trademark, is generally 95 years from the date of publication or 120 years from the date of creation, whichever comes first. So, since Sly Cooper was created in the early 2000s, it would likely be protected by copyright until the year 2095 or later. However, copyright laws can vary by country, so it's best to check the specific laws in the country in which you plan to use the trademark.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.