Freeport, IL asked in Landlord - Tenant for Illinois

Q: My landlord is trying to illegally evict me for calling a building inspector on him, what should I do?

I rent a upper apartment in a duplex from Chapman Properties and I have had issues with sewage backup flooding into my basement for over a month. It has caused damage to my personal property that I'm going to have to pay out of pocket to replace. I've had to pay out of pocket to do laundry because of this incident. My landlord does not want to seem to actually fix the issue but instead seems content on blaming his tenants for it claiming that someone is Flushing baby wipes. To me that means that there is a issue with the septic and it probably needs to be pumped. The last time this happened the city had to come clean them out of the sewers. None of the landlords tenants are flushing baby wipes. But the landlord is aggressive and hostile towards tenants blaming them for the issue. When we finally exercised our legal rights by getting a building inspector involved the landlord sent us an eviction notice as retaliation. We are on a month-to-month rental agreement.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Wolkowitz
David Wolkowitz
  • Skokie, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The landlord can simply provide you notice that your month-to-month lease will not be continued for another month. That would not be an eviction. Evictions occur for violations of leases, such as not paying rent, destroying the property, disturbing other tenants. It seems like you should look for someplace else to live, from a pragmatic standpoint.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.