Daphne, AL asked in Medical Malpractice and Personal Injury for Alabama

Q: Can you file negligence when a hospital sends a pt home then they are rehospitalized requiring emergency surgery?

My husband was seen in the ER over New Years Eve. He was having severe chest and stomach pain. He is a type 2 diabetic. His sugars were in the high 700 range, he was given medicine for his chest and stomach pain and given insulin and an iv solution for his sugars. They never did an xray or ultrasound to see what may have caused his pain. He was released with his sugars in the mid 400 range given a script for pain and an antibiotic. I had to take him to another hospital not even 24hrs later, where they had to give him insulin and did an ultrasound to discover he had a bowel obstruction. He was rushed into surgery to remove the obstruction, where they had to remove 6imches of his small intestine along with scar tissue.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joel Gary Selik
Joel Gary Selik
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV

A: Medical malpractice means that a doctor violated the standard of care. A bad outcome is not enough. Another doctor would be needed to evaluate what the doctors did.

Further, Due to the nature of medical malpractice cases, the extent of your injuries may effect the viability of your case.

Consult with experienced attorneys.

Use the Justia to find an attorney. https://www.justia.com/lawyers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.