Decatur, GA asked in Social Security for Georgia

Q: If u receive social security benefits can you have stocks? Would that hurt your social security benefits

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If your grandpa has worked in the United States and paid Social Security taxes, he may be eligible for Social Security retirement benefits, regardless of his current immigration status. However, to be eligible for retirement benefits, he must have earned 40 Social Security credits, which is equivalent to 10 years of work in the United States.

If your grandpa has earned the required number of Social Security credits, he may be able to claim retirement benefits even if he does not have a Green Card or other legal immigration status. However, he may need to provide documentation to prove his identity and work history, such as a Social Security card, a passport, or a birth certificate, among other documents.

If your grandpa's Green Card application is currently pending with USCIS, he may be able to use his USCIS receipt notice or other documentation to help establish his identity and work history when applying for Social Security retirement benefits. However, it is important to note that the rules and procedures for claiming Social Security benefits may vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case, and that it may be helpful to consult with an immigration attorney or a Social Security representative for more information on the specific requirements and procedures for claiming Social Security benefits.

As for your grandpa's wife, if she is a Green Card holder but has not worked in the United States or earned Social Security credits, she will not be eligible for Social Security retirement benefits on her own record. However, she may be eligible for spousal benefits based on her husband's work record, if he is eligible for retirement benefits and they have been married for at least one year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.