Skiatook, OK asked in Divorce and Family Law for Oklahoma

Q: I'm in Oklahoma. My wife just filed for divorce and I would like to know if she can serve me with divorce papers?

She gave me papers about a Temporary Order and a court date hearing. At this point, I'm unable to afford representation in my behalf. How do I respond to the papers handed to me? Do I go to the court hearing date? What is the procedure and process to that?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Personally, no. Her handing you the paperwork does not constitute formal service of process. It’s a rare courtesy.

Take the papers she gave you to a competent attorney with family law experience in or near the county where the divorce proceedings are filed well before the date of the temporary order hearing.

When scheduling your appointment with the attorney, specifically advise the office personnel scheduling your appointment of the date and time of the hearing to avoid any scheduling conflicts.

Don’t wait to be formally served. Take advantage of the additional time your wife’s courtesy is providing.

Charles Watts agrees with this answer

2 users found this answer helpful

Pete David Louden
Pete David Louden
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Unless you waive formal service, her handing you the documents is not proper service. With that said, now that you know she has filed take the documents she gave you to an experienced family law attorney so that they can prepare a response and begin preparing your case for hearing.

Best of luck!

Charles Watts agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.