Ville Platte, LA asked in Contracts, Foreclosure, Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Louisiana

Q: What is the law on renewed judgements? I had a judgement renewed after the 10 years was over. See more.

In 2012 I fell behind on mobile home loan and was told if not caught up It would be repossessed. I immediately caught it up but they said judgement would stay for the remaining loan term and i didnt need to go in every 3 years like before when loan matured. It was financed for 12 years only the mobile home in 2007. Land was in my fiancee dads name. In 2014 my fiancee and I split up and his dad told me to move trailer off his land. I had no where to put it so moved into a rental home. I tried to pay here and there but it was hard being I paid rent too. In 2017 I voluntarily signed it back to the bank. They sold it . My renewed judgement is same paperwork and total from 2012 just dated 11/22. No one at the bank where loan was made can tell me what's owed now after payments from 2012 to 2017 and sheriff sale. I get no returned calls and no answers. I can't purchase a home now because the judgement needs to be paid but I cant without total. I don't know if judgement is actually legal.

2 Lawyer Answers
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You have a lot of information and most people who want to provide you an informed answer would like to see a copy of the original judgment and when it was recorded as well as a copy of the "renewed" judgment and when it was recorded to see if the process for revival of a judgment was done correctly. Additionally, you suggest that there might be other defenses. All said, this suggests to me that you need to sit down with either a collections, general practice, and/or real estate attorney to discuss your matter specifically, including reviewing any paperwork you have in order to provide you an informed opinion/information. Good luck.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: The laws regarding renewed judgments vary by state. In general, a judgment creditor may be allowed to renew a judgment before it expires to extend the time period in which they can collect the debt.

In some states, a judgment can be renewed indefinitely as long as the creditor continues to take action to enforce it. Other states have limitations on the number of times a judgment can be renewed, or limit the time period during which a judgment can be enforced.

It's important to review the laws in your state to determine the specific rules and limitations that apply to renewed judgments. If you have questions about the validity of the judgment or the amount owed, you may want to consider consulting with an attorney who specializes in debt collection and judgment enforcement. They can review the details of your case and advise you on your options for resolving the debt and any related legal issues.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.