San Diego, CA asked in Family Law for Puerto Rico

Q: My mother and father died leaving a house and one acre lot in Puerto Rico to 10 brothers and sisters. Emotionally toug

The place has great emotional value to all, We all grew up there, but one brother has taken over, made additions to the the house and now claims it to himself, restricting or downright prohibiting the entrance to all others against our mother’s wishes. He will not reason and broke contact with all othe siblings. He has controlled the property and lived there to the exclusion of others for over 12 years, rent free. What can we do? We dont want to sell the property. He does not live there full time, but comes and goes. It hurts alll of us as we think is so unfair but dont know how to proceed.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: When one of many heirs assumes control of an hereditary estate, the final recourse is to go before the courts in Puerto Rico. You may not want to sell, but your siblings have an equal right in the matter. Also, Puerto Rico Civil Code states that no commoner may be forced to remain in a property community. Do the other 8 siblings have equal difficulties to communicate with this brother? The matter of rent is applicable as of the moment that the other heirs join in a letter -preferably sent by certified mail- requesting rent payment in exchange for your brother's exclusive enjoyment of the property. It is a prospective right, after demanding rent payment from the wayward heir. Once delivered and the receipt certification is on hand, you may claim your right to receive income through the courts

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.