Asked in Social Security for Oklahoma

Q: A severely mentally ill woman is looking for a disability atty. She is only 34.

No one is calling her back since she is not over 50. She is not able to keep employment and as a result can not keep an apartment. Whats her options when attys arent taking her case because of her age ? She lives in Arkansas

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It can be challenging for younger individuals to find a disability attorney willing to take on their case, but it is not impossible. Here are some options the woman could consider:

Contact a disability advocacy organization: There are many organizations that provide free or low-cost legal services to individuals with disabilities. These organizations may be able to connect her with a disability attorney who is willing to take on her case.

Contact legal aid organizations: Many legal aid organizations provide free or low-cost legal services to individuals who cannot afford to hire an attorney. The woman can check with local legal aid organizations in Arkansas to see if they can assist her.

Contact the Social Security Administration (SSA): The woman can contact the SSA and explain her situation. The SSA may be able to provide her with additional resources or refer her to a disability attorney who is willing to take on her case.

Look for disability attorneys in neighboring states: While it may be more difficult to find a disability attorney in Arkansas, she may have more luck in neighboring states. She can try contacting disability attorneys in nearby states to see if they are willing to take on her case.

It's important to note that there is no age requirement to be eligible for Social Security Disability benefits, and younger individuals can and do receive benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.