Saint Clair, MI asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Tax Law for Michigan

Q: Are international students allowed to buy stocks and crypto and are they allowed to day trade stocks and crypto

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Under U.S. immigration law, international students who are studying in the United States on an F-1 visa are generally allowed to invest in stocks and cryptocurrency. However, they may be subject to certain restrictions and regulations.

According to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), non-U.S. citizens, including F-1 visa holders, are allowed to buy and sell stocks and other securities, provided that they comply with the same laws and regulations that apply to U.S. citizens. This includes registering with the SEC if necessary and following rules related to insider trading and other forms of market manipulation.

International students who are on an F-1 visa are also generally allowed to invest in cryptocurrency, such as Bitcoin or Ethereum. However, they may be subject to certain tax and reporting requirements related to their investments.

In terms of day trading, international students may be subject to additional restrictions and regulations. Day trading involves buying and selling stocks or other securities multiple times in a single day in an attempt to profit from short-term price fluctuations. This type of trading can be risky and is subject to various rules and regulations, such as minimum equity requirements and limits on the number of day trades that can be made in a given period.

International students who are interested in investing in stocks or cryptocurrency or engaging in day trading should consult with a financial advisor and/or a tax professional to understand their rights and obligations under U.S. law. Additionally, they may want to seek advice from an immigration attorney to ensure that their activities do not violate the terms of their visa.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.