Colorado Springs, CO asked in Child Custody, Libel & Slander and Family Law for Colorado

Q: What can I do about my ex turning my kids away from be?

My ex-husband has convinced my children that I was mean, evil, abusive, and negligent to them. He has told them I'm selfish and all I did was party and yell and scream all their lives. He has them so afraid of me they won't even talk to me. He refused and still refuses to discipline them. He moved to California for 5 years for work during which time I had them full time. I wasn't a perfect mom but I did my best. My children were never hit or spanked. I did yell a fair amount but I was never degrading or abusive. He claims I would frequently leave them home alone. A few times when they were 10 & 11 they would stay home for and hour at most. One time they were home overnight but there were mitigating circumstances. He has the kids in therapy due to my "abuse and neglect." I really need help as I don't know what do to to salvage the once loving and close relationship I had with my children. They are now 14 and 16 and I love and miss them very much. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Sabra M. Janko
Sabra M. Janko pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: I am sorry to hear about your situation. If he is violating a court order with regards to parenting time, you can enforce the order. Most parenting plans have an anti disparagement clause and if he is violating that, you can enforce the order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.