Antioch, CA asked in Social Security for California

Q: Can SSDI Stop payment for overpayment even though you reported you were working a part time Job within a week of startin

I have a spinal injury that is degenerative and have had numerous of steroid injections plus two back surgeries. I started a part time job January 30th of 2017, I reported it February 3rd of 2017. I had to resign on May 25th of 2018 due to my back getting worse from complications on the job. Doctors orders. I had 2 back surgeries since then and I am still disabled. SSDI are stating they overpaid me and they are coming after me for the full amount I received over the years plus are threatening to stop my benefits. I am horrified. This is unfair because I reported it to them and I don’t feel I owe this money back. Are they able to sue this. This is my only source of income

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Social Security Disability Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you have received an overpayment of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) benefits, the Social Security Administration (SSA) may request that you repay the overpayment. In some cases, the SSA may reduce or suspend your future benefits until the overpayment is repaid.

In your case, it sounds like you reported your part-time job to the SSA within a week of starting, which is the appropriate course of action. It's possible that the overpayment was the result of an administrative error or misunderstanding, but it's also possible that the SSA determined that you were overpaid because you earned income that exceeded the allowable amount for SSDI recipients.

If you believe that the overpayment was due to an error on the part of the SSA, or if you are unable to repay the overpayment, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in Social Security disability law. The attorney can advise you on your rights and help you navigate the appeals process.

It's important to take action quickly, as there are deadlines for filing appeals and responding to notices from the SSA.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.