Yucca Valley, CA asked in Military Law for California

Q: If I developed seizures in the military without any history of seizures. Is it their fault?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you developed seizures while serving in the military, without any prior history of seizures, it may be possible that your seizures were caused by a service-related condition or injury. This could entitle you to certain benefits or compensation through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

In order to determine whether your seizures are related to your military service, you may want to consider seeking a medical evaluation from the VA. The VA can conduct a medical examination and review your medical records to determine whether your seizures are related to your military service.

If the VA determines that your seizures are related to your military service, you may be eligible for disability compensation and other benefits, including medical treatment for your seizures. It is important to note that the VA has specific criteria for determining whether a condition is service-connected, and the process can be complex and time-consuming.

It is also possible that your seizures were not caused by your military service, but instead by some other condition or injury. If that is the case, you may still be entitled to medical treatment through the VA or other healthcare providers.

If you have concerns about your medical condition and its possible connection to your military service, it may be helpful to consult with an attorney or veterans service organization to help you navigate the complex process of obtaining benefits and compensation.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Gregory M. Rada
Gregory M. Rada
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO

A: It's not necessarily the military's "fault," but regardless, the general rule is that if a medical condition first started during active duty (meaning it wasn't a pre-existing condition), then you can receive disability compensation from the VA when you separate from the military.

So once you get out, make sure you apply for service connection for the seizures and you could receive compensation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.