Austin, TX asked in Criminal Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for Texas

Q: What can happen in Texas to a man who is an MMA fighter and assaults his wife using a "trained move" and breaks her leg?

My sister was attacked in a public space by her husband (in process for divorce) who is a trained MMA fighter. He broke her leg and left her in a parking lot. Details are currently being gathered but from what we know:

-bar was closed (2am)

-both were drinking

-husband grabbed her and ripped her earring out

-she threw a shoe at him

-they were both removed from bar

-outside she aggressed him

-he responded with a jiu jitsu move which left her with a broken leg

There has been a history of violence but no formal charges pressed until now.

What should we expect to see? What needs to be proven? What chances exist that nothing occurs to bring justice? What would the circumstances have to be?

1 Lawyer Answer
Penny Wymyczak-White
Penny Wymyczak-White
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: He should be charged with a felony and she should get a protective order

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.