Cleveland, OH asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for New York

Q: If the father of my kids agrees to signing his rights over fully. Would the child support continue or stop? I

I don’t need the child support. He has other kids to take care of. If he signs his rights over would the payments stop or will New York continue to take the payments?

1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: (This is for NY) First of all, you should know he cannot sign over his "rights". The only way for his rights to be terminated is a Neglect petition being filed by DSS or he consents to an adoption. Until his rights are terminated, he has to pay child support. The only way to stop support from being taken out by NY is to go into court and agree to direct payments from him to you. Of course that does not stop you from later claiming he did not pay as he was supposed to and he is in arrears and contempt. All this should be discussed with a NY lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.