Washington, DC asked in Real Estate Law, Land Use & Zoning and Gov & Administrative Law for Tennessee

Q: TN. My house # is preventing me from selling it. It is 666. Can I sue to change it? 911 is in charge & said no.

I asked 911. They said only 2 houses need to be changed to stay in numerical order. My neighbor said no & 911 said they want them to agree. No 666 numbers are ever assigned. Buyers say no based on the 666 address. Help. I need to have it changed to move. Is there anything I can do legally? I have to sell my 2 story house because my invalid parents live with me so I cm care for them. They can no longer climb the stairs. I have owned the house for 15 years. The city said the number is always skipped and it’s a mistake back in 1987.

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Real Estate Law Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Different Counties handle 911 and zoning issues differently. Hire an attorney in the applicable County to ask for the change in street address. Provide an appropriate alternate address. You may have to go before a County Commission or a Zoning Board. The County Mayor will probably be involved.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.