East Orange, NJ asked in Criminal Law, Real Estate Law, Traffic Tickets and Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Can police ticket you if you park in someone's spot at an apartment building without their consent?

I live in an apartment building across the street from a government building. People constantly park in residents spots for the apartment building and run across the street to the government building. Property Management says us residents have to call the local police department and have the cars ticketed followed by a call to a tow company in order to have cars removed from our respective spots. Management also says us residents should park in the street until the violators are removed from the property. I feel as a paying resident for 2 parking spaces if my spots are taken and Management tells me to park in the street, they should be held liable for any damages to my car while parked in the street. Management also says it is not their responsibility to monitor the parking lot.

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Two issue. The first being is whether or not the landlord has posted the appropriate signage about improper parking. The second is whether the two lease spots are included in the lease. If so, you, you are entitled to quiet enjoyment. This places a burden on the Landlord's shoulders to monitor the parking sites. Easily done by getting the license plate numbers for tenant's cars that will be permitted to park there. Include the plate numbers of family and invited friends.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.