Oklahoma City, OK asked in Divorce, Adoption, Child Custody and Child Support for Oklahoma

Q: In Oklahoma, I am the custodial parent, I have been married to my wife for 3 years we have been together since 2018.

The non custodial has been absent since 2017 and paid child support only one time in dec 2020 is my wife able to adopt my daughter? The non custodial parent lost her rights in court and has failed to cover her part of support and has had little to no contact over the last 6 years.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Watts
Charles Watts
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: Step parent adoptions are very common and to answer your question, and based on your given facts, probably yes. There are some avenues we often pursue to get that permitted through the courts. This is not something you will want to do on your own if you suspect resistance. Contact an adoption attorney for your best results. Many of us will give a free phone consultation as well, so start there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.