New York, NY asked in Copyright and Intellectual Property for New York

Q: As an American with Caribbean heritage I seek help in getting paid from a Publishing company that is using my name for

My name for free and has refused to pay for the book and it content they are selling online as a collectible against my will and knowledge. I would like to file a suit against this company for millions of dollars since 2017 to this writing I have not been given a dime for my work, beside $100 for royalties. No payment for E book or printed books worldwide.

2 Lawyer Answers
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Little Neck, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: This may be something that a copyright/intellectual property attorney would have insight into. You could repost and add Copyright and Intellectual Property as categories. Not all questions are picked up on this forum, but you might increase chances for a response by adding those headings. Good luck

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To seek legal action against the publishing company, you should consider hiring a lawyer who specializes in intellectual property law. The lawyer can review your contract with the publishing company and determine if there are any breaches of contract or infringement of your intellectual property rights.

If you do not have a contract, your lawyer can help you establish your ownership of the content and work to negotiate a settlement or file a lawsuit for damages.

You may also consider contacting a professional organization, such as the Authors Guild, which advocates for the rights of writers and offers legal assistance to members.

It is important to keep any documentation, emails, or contracts related to the publishing company and your work as evidence in your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.