Asked in Criminal Law for Texas

Q: Can I ask a judge for leniency on behalf of my fiance because he takes care of me because I have heart failure?

I met my fiance in Iowa and he had an active warrant in Texas. He has been arrested in Iowa and is being held for extradition back to Texas. I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure shortly before I met my fiance and ever since we have been together for the past year he has taken care of me and helps me with all of my daily life activities that I am unable to do on my own.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
Tristan Nicolas LeGrande
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: I do not know the status of the charges (is he on probation? On parole? Is there an open case?)….BUT, regardless, facts and circumstances like the ones you describe are helpful mitigation evidence - evidence that would tend to reduce the punishment - if a Judge or Jury will assess punishment.

I would suggest you use the time before he is transferred back to Texas to help him find an attorney in the Texas County where the charges are pending.

Good luck.

Penny Wymyczak-White agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.