Minneapolis, MN asked in Family Law and Immigration Law for Minnesota

Q: Hi I am a Indian citizen Green card holder , so want to my daughter marriage on phone it’s acceptable & legal or else ?

If yes where which official authority conduct & what documents requirements for both parties.

If yes how to apply for my daughter spouse visa ?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: There are particular rules governing the recognition of marriage. You should consult directly with an immigration lawyer.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: It is not possible to have a legally binding marriage ceremony over the phone in California or under U.S. federal law. In order for a marriage to be legally recognized, the couple must have a physical ceremony in the presence of an authorized officiant, such as a judge, religious leader, or authorized government official.

If you are interested in sponsoring your daughter's spouse for a visa, you will need to file an immigrant petition on their behalf with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This typically involves submitting various forms and supporting documents, such as evidence of your relationship with your daughter and her spouse, financial sponsorship documents, and proof of the spouse's eligibility for a visa.

Once the immigrant petition is approved, the spouse will need to go through additional steps to obtain their visa, including a medical examination, background checks, and an interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country. The exact requirements and process can vary depending on the specific type of visa being sought and other factors.

It's important to consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can guide you through the process and help ensure that you are meeting all the necessary requirements. An attorney can also help you navigate any legal or logistical challenges that may arise along the way.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.