Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for District of Columbia

Q: My custody order happened in Toronto Canada, the mother moved to Dallas with my daughter does the order apply?

The mother then moved without my knowledge to DC, has missed 5 visits and refuses all phone calls, I'm suing for full custody. What, if any, documentation do I need? Also, I live in New York City.

We were married in the states 5 years ago. Divorced finaled this year.

Is this parental kidnapping? She hasn't been served because we can't find her. I'm hiring a P.I.

My current lawyer seems thoroughly confused by all this.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Laurence L. Socci
Laurence L. Socci
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Washington, DC

A: If the mother and child have lived in DC for 6 months, DC would have jurisdiction. You would need the Toronto custody order. You would sue for custody in the DC court asking the court to either accept and enforce the Toronto custody order or grant you custody based on the fact she moved to Dallas, then to DC without your consent and has failed to abide by the Toronto Order

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.