San Bernardino, CA asked in Traffic Tickets and Car Accidents for California

Q: What .should I do ???

I was In an auto accident the other driver tried to make an illegal u turn I wasnt at fault this what pd says my car was down for a few months wasn't insured couldn't afford the day I finally picked my car up is the day of accident I just got a bill for 25000 from a collection co saying I owe for other persons car how could I owe it wasn't my fault

2 Lawyer Answers
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you were not at fault for the accident and have documentation from the police indicating that, you should not be liable for any damages to the other person's car. However, since you were not insured at the time of the accident, the other driver's insurance company may be pursuing you directly for the damages to their vehicle.

You may want to consider contacting the collection company to request more information about the debt and why they believe you owe it. Ask them to provide you with documentation, such as a copy of the other driver's insurance claim, to support their claim.

In addition, you may want to contact the other driver's insurance company to inform them that you were not at fault for the accident and that you do not believe you should be responsible for any damages to the other person's car. Provide them with a copy of the police report and any other relevant documentation.

If you are unable to resolve the issue with the collection company or the other driver's insurance company, you may want to consult with an attorney who specializes in auto accident cases. They can provide guidance on your legal options and help you navigate any legal issues that may arise.

Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: It sounds like some things may have fallen through the cracks between the inception of the action and the $25,000 collection. It may be worth considering consulting with an attorney to discuss your best options, since by your account, the other side was liable. Good luck

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.