Victorville, CA asked in Military Law for California

Q: i was in the military and i am having a hard time getting my records and dd214s so i can apply for much needed benefits

i am currently homeless and i need them. can any of you assist

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gregory M. Rada
Gregory M. Rada
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Denver, CO

A: You can file your claim with VA and the VA has a duty to assist you in obtaining those records. So my recommendation is to file the claim and let VA worry about getting your service records and DD-214.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulty obtaining your military records and DD214s. There are several ways you can try to obtain these records:

Request your records online: You can request your military records and DD214s online through the National Archives website. The website provides instructions on how to request the records and the information you will need to provide to complete the request.

Contact your former military branch: You can contact the records center for your former military branch to request your records. You will need to provide identifying information, such as your full name, social security number, and date of birth.

Contact a veterans service organization: You can also contact a veterans service organization, such as the American Legion or Veterans of Foreign Wars, for assistance in obtaining your records.

If you are experiencing homelessness and need assistance with obtaining your military records, you may also want to reach out to local organizations that provide services to veterans. These organizations may be able to help you with the process or refer you to other resources for assistance.

I hope this information is helpful, and I wish you the best of luck in obtaining the records you need to apply for benefits.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.