Fort Drum, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: My son was born and PR and I live in Ny. never married. I am listed as father on birth cert. How do i get visitation

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Being listed on the birth certificate isn't enough. You need to have an acknowledgement of paternity to be the "legal" father or a court order. If there is an acknowledgment all you need to do is file a petition for visitation in Family Court. If there is no acknowledgement, you have to file a paternity petition and then (or even at the same time) a visitation petition. [If the mother will agree to sign the acknowledgment and have it filed then you can just file for visitation after the acknowledgement has been signed and filed.]

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.