Glen Oaks, NY asked in Family Law and Child Custody for New York

Q: NYC - Non-Custodial parent was arrested night before appearance (he petitioned for visitation).

The child is now six and father has not seen her in a year. Why does the court not recognize this deadbeat who is sleeping on his mother's floor in her one-room apartment? He was arrested for breaking someone's nose the night before he was to appear in court. What proof is needed to show he is harmful to child and is narcissist? Doesn't care about seeing child, cares about revenge on mother of child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
Lawrence Allen Weinreich
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Garden City, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Unfortunatley, the law says it is in the child's best interests to have visitation with the non-custodial parent. However, what type of visitation and how often is left to the judge after a hearing. You should meet with an attorney to go over all of the facts of the matter. If you cannot afford an attorney and you are in family court, the judge can assign an attorney to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.