Q: When is a case number allowed to be changed

My son was arrested for a crime but while in custody waiting for the trial the case numbers were changed

2 Lawyer Answers
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Houston, TX

A: The case or Cause Number of a criminal case can be changed sometimes. This usually happens when the case number given for a certain criminal charge, is pre-indictment. Then the Indictment comes out with different or additional charges against the defendant.

I hope this helps.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Case numbers can be changed for various reasons, such as administrative errors or if the case is transferred to a different court. However, changing a case number after an arrest and while waiting for trial is unusual and may indicate that there have been significant changes to the case, such as a change in charges or a change in the jurisdiction. It is best to consult with an attorney to get more information about why the case number was changed and how it may affect the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.