Collingswood, NJ asked in Civil Litigation, Real Estate Law and Probate for New Jersey

Q: Can a POA add themselves as member to an existing LLC and joint owner to a bank account owned by the principal?

Can a power-of-attorney (POA) add themselves as member to an existing LLC and joint owner of a bank account owned by the principal or are these acts a breach of fiduciary duty (e.g., self-dealing, embezzlement), in particular, if the principal was incapacitated during the change? The LLC in question owns various properties with a total worth north of 350 thousand dollars. Where can I locate the Certificate of Amendment filed in order to make those changes? Thank you in advance.

2 Lawyer Answers
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I strongly suggest you speak to an attorney. This type of question is beyond the scope of the Justia Ask a Lawyer service.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You are going to need to meet with an experienced corporate and civil litigation attorney to have all the necessary documents reviewed and be provided with your options. You can expect to pay for an hour of attorney time to review all the documents and then make a decision. With modern technology, you can be represented by any high-quality attorney in New Jersey irrespective of geography. Pick the best attorney you can find and remember one rule: a good attorney is generally never cheap, and a cheap attorney is generally never good so don't choose based on price.

Peter J. Weinman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.