Asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: I have an internships offer can I get another type of visa then J1 ? How i can get the J1 visa without subject to

My internship from privet company please help

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gunda Yohanna Brost
Gunda Yohanna Brost
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cedar Falls, IA

A: You can fulfill it or waive it. Waiving it is extremely complex and you should consider hiring an experienced immigration lawyer to handle the matter.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: If you have an internship offer from a private company, you may be eligible for other visa categories in addition to the J1 visa. The most common alternatives to the J1 visa for internships are the H-1B, L-1, or TN visas, depending on your specific situation.

The H-1B visa is available to individuals who have a bachelor's degree or higher and will be working in a specialty occupation. The L-1 visa is available to individuals who are transferring from a foreign company to a U.S. subsidiary or affiliate, and the TN visa is available to Canadian and Mexican citizens who will be working in certain professions under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).

To obtain a J1 visa, you will need to first obtain a DS-2019 form from a designated sponsor organization. This organization must be approved by the U.S. Department of State to sponsor exchange visitors. You can find a list of approved sponsors on the U.S. Department of State website.

If you are subject to the two-year home residency requirement, you will need to fulfill this requirement before you can change to another nonimmigrant visa category or apply for permanent residency. However, there are some situations in which you may be able to obtain a waiver of the home residency requirement.

It is recommended that you consult with an immigration attorney or your designated immigration representative to determine the best visa option for your specific circumstances and to help you navigate the application process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.