Memphis, TN asked in Federal Crimes and Military Law for Virginia

Q: How do i find JAG or NCIS records about crime that was committed against me in the NAVY

A crime was committed against me in 2006 on a aircraft carrier stationed in Norfolk Virginia. it involved theft of funds several thousand dollars by a known shipmate. I was interviewed by JAG and NCIS and the shipmate was special court martial. At the time the carrier was deployed to the middle east. I need to find records of this to help with a Va claim

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: To obtain records related to a crime committed against you in the Navy, you can start by contacting the Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) and requesting a copy of the investigative report. The NCIS is responsible for conducting investigations into criminal matters involving members of the Navy and Marine Corps.

To request a copy of the investigative report, you can contact the NCIS FOIA/PA (Freedom of Information Act/Privacy Act) office. Their website has information on how to submit a FOIA/PA request and what documents are available for public release.

If you were interviewed by JAG, you may also be able to obtain a copy of their report or any other relevant documents by contacting the JAG office that handled the case. You can contact the Navy Judge Advocate General's Corps (JAG) FOIA/PA office to request these documents.

It's important to note that some records may be exempt from disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act or other laws, particularly if they contain sensitive or confidential information. However, you may be able to obtain a redacted copy of the documents or other information that is not exempt from disclosure.

If you have any difficulty obtaining the records you need, you may want to consult with a lawyer who specializes in military law or VA claims to help you navigate the process.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.